For those of you who live in England don't forget tonight the clocks go back. An extra hour in bed for some, an extra hour at work for those doing the night shift. Do they get paid for that extra hour? Can someone please enlighten me as to why on earth we still bother to do this? Is it because some place in the Outer Hebrides won't get daylight or is it as a result of political tinkering after the First World War? The correct answer would be greatly appreciated as number one daughter wants to know.
Monday sees the return of that most annoying of 'celebrations' - Hallowe'en. This particular festival 'All Hallows Even' was originally a church festival and took place before All Saints Day (1st November). People would visit their friends and neighbours and receive a bun marked with a cross in exchange for prayers offered on their behalf. That custom was carried over to the New World and we received it back as 'Trick or Treat', which here in the sunny lands of Essex has denigrated into 'gives us sweets/money or we'll key your car!' So do I give in and dish out sweets or stand my ground? On point of principle I refuse to feed the neighbourhood kids sweets! Bah humbug!
Speaking of humbugs I really must get round to thinking about Christmas presents. I normally go Christmas shopping with my sister-in-law, but I don't think I can face London shopping this year. The older (aahh!) I get, the less tolerant I am of crowds. So this year we have opted for a sedate shopping trip in Manchester city centre. I can see it now! A mooch through Kendals, Daisy & Tom's and Oceans Apart (is it still there?), lunch at the Dutch Pancake House lots of smelly cheese from the Christmas markets on Albert Sqaure & St. Anne's Square. I'm soooooo excited!
29 October 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
No, Oceans Apart has now become a Starbucks. Sorry. At least you can stop there to get a warm drink!
Look forward to seeing you up soon.
No, Oceans Apart has now become a Starbucks. Sorry. At least you can stop there to get a warm drink!
Look forward to seeing you up soon.
Sorry. Word verification said we had typed the letters in incorrectly so we had to do it again. However, it somehow accepted the first one!!!!!
Post a Comment