14 July 2006

Weird Week

Bit of a strange week this one. Last Friday saw the visit of the local building inspector as we are looking at getting some work done on the house. It wasn't very inspiring and when we lifted the floorboards to inspect a particular steel beam, our hearts sank. All was not as it should be - sigh.
A quick chat with our next door neighbour (it's always good living near a builder) confimed that we could still go ahead and make changes in Lucy's room to accomodate her & Lily before Baby Knights arrives, but that we needed to talk to a good architect sooner rather than later. The architect is coming to visit on Monday.

This week also saw a decision made as to Lucy's schooling. When we were last in Manchester I spoke to one of Lucy's godparents about our plans to home school. Although Fran and I argreed to disagree about the educational and social aspects of home schooling, two points she highlighted brought me up short and one in particular really convicted me of my attitude. I have to admit I can be quite pig-headed once I get an idea and will bulldoze ahead regardless of the consequences. Thankfully Jonty is around to balance my character and its associated quirks.
Fran challenged me as to whether or not I had been in to visit my local junior school (which I hadn't) and had allowed the headteacher the opportunity to convince me of the benefits of Lucy attending. At this point I began to squirm. Why do teachers have that effect on me? Then Fran delivered the killer blow by pointing out that if all Christian parents withdrew their children from the school system because of ethos etc. we would be unable to affect that particular aspect of society and would no longer be salt and light in that arena. The best way to influence an organisation is from the inside. Ouch!

So now having had an interview with the headteacher of the junior school (who is a Christian and attends our church) and Lucy's class teacher(a christian) for next year, we have decided to let Lucy start junior school in September. Because Mark (headteacher) is now aware of our almost decision to home school we have been given a few concessions that will allow us to interfere more than the average parent in Lucy's schooling, which makes me feel slighty better. Funnily enough Mark encouraged me that if we decided to home school after year 6 he would be extremely supportive. So there we have it. Lucy goes to the junior school. I'm sad because I was so looking forward to having her at home, Lucy is over the moon about the juniors because they have a fantastic gymnastics & trampolining club after school. But it's not really about me it's about Lucy.

On the pregnancy front I've had a bit of an up and down week. The earlier part of the week saw me melting in the extreme heat, but combined with Lily teething (how many more molars?!), Baby Knights pressing on some vital nerves and hayfever its been a bit of a grouchy one. Does anyone have any objection if I pray for rain for the rest of the summer?

2 comments:

Jamie, Julie-Ann, Emily, Joel and Seth said...

I do feel sorry for you in this heat, as i had a limited experience of it myslef! I have to say this weather is great for us as we can take Emily out and have a great time outdoors without wrapping her up like Mr Blobby!
I think you have made the right decision about Lucy too. School is a right of passage with all its ups and downs. She is such a great kid, share her with other families, she will impact them in ways that you could never imagine! Lucy will always do well and be well as long as she is supported at home( which is a dead cert!) It might also give Lily and the new baby more of your time too! Sounds like you have had a thought provoking week! JA xxx

Knights @ not so round table said...

Thanx we think Lucy is a great kid too. The temptation to wrap your firstborn up in cotton wool is very very strong!
Enjoy the sun in the North - think I'll hide inside today... the South is roasting nicely!
Rosie
xx