2 November 2006

Parental Insanity

This is the face of the child who disturbs my sleep, causes me moments of confusion and makes me feel like a first time parent all over again. I honestly thought this would be easy third time round. I thought the breastfeeding would be a piece of cake, that I would have the little dude into Gina's routine within a week and that life would flow just as smoothly as it had before. How wrong was I? I don't think i'm capable of rational thought at the mo, everything I do seems to be reactive. Common sense would tell you that if it's going to take about an hour to feed the wee man, organise something before hand for the young toddler to do. If not, don't be surprised when the bored toddler decides to a) remove the contents of a cupboard, b) use the phone, c) draw on the floor or d) all of the above!
With Jonty back at work this week, life has taken on its regular routine and it has been hard. It feels like I've climbed Everest after returning from the morning school run and all I want to do is crawl back into bed. I so could do with a week's worth of sleep right now. I've impressed myself in that I've managed to make it to baby weigh-in this week (Jamie weighs a grand total of 8lbs 2ozs), that I've started doing my postnatal exercises (better late than never), that I've managed a shower every morning and I even hoovered today! Hopefully I might eventually make it out during the day to do lunch with the ladies. It sometimes feels like life will always be this tiring/insane/chaotic but I try to remind myself at least once a day that circumstances will change.