30 March 2006

Catalyst

I recently started subscribing to a new magazine funnily enough entitled Catalyst which looks at race issues in Britian. The articles are fascinating - 'what is britishness', 'which takes precedence cultural or religious identity?' and 'immigration'. Immigration is such an emotive issue, particular in Essex, which has seen an influx of Nigerians, Kosovans & Poles.
A couple of days ago one of my friends was having a rant about pensions and proceeded to blame immigrants for the huge hole in national finances & the current pension crisis. Never one to pass up the opportunity to expand another's view of life, I gave my friend a potted history of Britian's public spending from the 2nd World World to present day and how that had contributed to said current pensions crisis. She argued that despite history Britain was continuing to fork out money to immigrants sponging off the State. Just to be difficult I pointed out that I was an immigrant. 'But you're British!' she cried. I took great delight informing her that due to where I was born I was entitled to hold 3 passports, one of which was a passport for the United Kingdom & Northern Ireland.
Once she'd finished spluttering I suggested she spend more time studying British history a) to understand immigration into this country over the centuries, b) to understand successive Government usage of public funds and c) because ignorance is no excuse for prejudice.
Funnily enough we are still friends.

1 comment:

Jamie, Julie-Ann, Emily, Joel and Seth said...

Go Roz!
Always remind me not to get into a political discussion with you! You'd always win!