Premier Christian Radio recently highlighted the plight of an Afghan man, Abdul Rahman, who is incarcerated in a Kabul jail awaiting possible execution. His crime? He's a Christian. Under the current Afghan laws those who convert to Christianity from Islam face execution.
You wonder why this man would willing return to Afghanistan knowing the fate that would await him. Abdul Rahman had left Afghanistan in search of a better life and ended up in Germany where he converted to Christianity and was involved in reaching Muslims in mission. Abdul had left an estranged wife and two daughters back in Afghanistan and wanted to be reconciled with his family. So he took the dangerous step of returning home and approaching his family.
Abdul Rahman was denounced by his family as an infidel and ended up in jail. He has been given the option of renouncing Christianity in favour of Islam or facing death.
The presenter of the particular program opened the phone lines for comment on whether or not God would forgive Abdul Rahman if he chose to save his neck and renounce Christianity. It was with disgust that I listened to callers phone in and qoute various verses of scripture to back up their condemnation of Abdul Rahman if he even allows the thought of renouncing Christianity across his mind.
Excuse me... hello! From the comfortable vantage point of the Western world who knows how they would react in this situation. My biggest worry during the day is whether I'll make it to the bathroom in time to throw up. For Abdul Rahman his life and faith are on the line. I certainly can't imagine that the conditions he is currently enduring are pleasant. I squirm sometimes when I realise how privileged I am to live where I do. I don't face the kind of persecution that this Christian brother is dealing with, or that many others face on a daily basis in Eritrea, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Nigeria, Indonesia, China.... Strange isn't it that in the countries where the Church is persecuted it grows at a phenomenal rate. But can I honestly say I would want to walk in Abdul's shoes?
22 March 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment