
I must have been on another planet when Number 1 daughter began her journey towards 'teeth hood', 'cause I don't remember it being an awful time. Number 2 daughter however, is having an absolute carnage! Waking up at night distressed and rubbing her gums, flushed cheeks, running a constant cold, crying throughout the day because she just doesn't know what to do with herself.
A continual supply of celery/carrot sticks and teething granules doesn't really seem to bring much relief. I seem to be spending a lot of time just holding her during the day in an effort to bring some comfort.
But... (there is always a but) this means I'm spending less time with Number 1 daughter and experiencing serious amounts of guilt (... So what's new for parents?). Lucy has also noticed the lack of time and is beginning to express her dislike of the situation.
Yesterday I got a preview of what Lucy would be like around age 14. She had just returned from a Princess birthday party and was strutting round the house looking leggy in her high heels (why did I buy those shoes? ... D'uh!) and again I was holding a stressing Lily. Lucy began what I can only describe as a teenage rant. I was gobsmacked. She's 6 going on teen!
There are some days when I find the girls fascinating to watch, Lucy as she expounds on life as only a 6 year old can and Lily as she spots something she has not seen before, points and asks 'wa zat?' And then some days I'm filled with dread as I think that in the not too distant future Jonty & I will have teenagers. Why don't kids come with a set of instruction for parents?


4 comments:
What do you mean no instruction manual? We were hoping the midwife hands one out when they walk you to the car with your new baby. Does this not happen?
I really miss seeing Lucy and watching her grow up! I still can't believe she is 6! I really hope the teething problems soon disappear and you can get back to equal child time!!!
J
There's no instruction manual, no sleep, no clue as to what to do next! And then there are all those other smug parents that smile knowingly but don't lift a finger to help!
R
My parents better not be those smug ones who refuse to help! They are free babysitting! Only joking.
J
Post a Comment