2 April 2007

Quiet Reflection

It's not often these days that I get moments to myself to just sit and think. In previous years I have found Lent to be a period of time that seemed to take on the texture of molasses. This year Lent has proved to be frenetic and very unsettling. Frenetic in terms of broken bones, hospital trips for Lily, frayed tempers between siblings and parents, more hospital trips this time for Jamie; unsettling as both Jonty and I have been forced to take a closer look at our spiritual journey.

We have as a family come to what may appear to be a very odd decision. Jonty and I now belong to different church fellowships. Jonty may or may not choose to share why he is staying at St. Cedds but for my part I have been feeling spiritually disturbed for a little while. I've discovered that I'm very good at going to/ doing church and very poor at being church. I've discovered that I'm no longer ok with that and how that translates to Lucy, Lily and Jamie. I've discovered that I really need other people around me to challenge me with regards to my christian journey as well as to encourage me. I've discovered that when I ask for help and admit my vunerability it is actually incredibly liberating.

I took a long hard look at my place within St. Cedds and came to the decision that it was healthier for me and the kids to leave. Jonty and I met with one of the pastor's from my new church home as well as our rector from St. Cedds and both meetings were positive and allowed issues to be aired. Jonty is still thinking through his decision to stay and there is not much more that I can say about that. Lucy loves the change and has blended seamlessly into sunday school (Saintz), which makes our job as parents just that little bit easier, she is pleased that she can now take communion again and she gets to sit next to her favourite cousin (Jessica) in church. Lily is happy because she can dance in church, she can sit on top of her favourite cousin (Jessica) although she's not too keen on creche and Jamie... well so long as there is food and something to chew on he's good!

So onward and upward to Easter.

No comments: